I've never been to Bennigan's. Not even sure if we have any in Louisville. But when someone sent me this dressing, I had to try it. I can't tell you if it tastes like the original -- but I can tell you it's reeeeeal good!
Bennigan's Hot Bacon Dressing
2 ounces Bacon Grease
1/4 pound Red Onion, diced very fine
2 cups Water
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons Cornstarch
1 tablespoon Tabasco (optional)
1. Place the bacon grease in a saucepan over medium−high heat.
2. Add the onions and saute until the onions start to blacken.
3. While the onions are caramelizing, in a mixing bowl place the water, honey, pepper sauce, and red wine vinegar.
4. Using a wire whisk, mix the ingredients well.
5. Add the cornstarch and whisk well.
6. After the onions have caramelized, add the Dijon mustard to the onions and stir together with a rubber spatula.
7. Add the water, vinegar, pepper sauce, honey and cornstarch to the mustard and onions and mix.
8. Continue stirring until mix thickens and comes to a boil.
9. Remove from heat and store in refrigerator until needed.
To reheat use a double boiler or microwave on low.