Almond Joy Candy Bars
- 4 cups (8 1/2−oz) shredded Coconut
- 1/4 cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 11 1/2 ounce package of Milk Chocolate Pieces
- 1/4 c Vegetable Shortening
- 26 whole natural Almonds - 1 ounce
- Line two large cookie sheets with waxed paper. Set large wire cooling rack on paper; set aside.
- Place coconut in large bowl; set aside.
- Place corn syrup in a 1−cup glass measure. Microwave on high (100%) 1 minute or until syrup boils. Immediately pour over coconut.
- Work warm syrup into coconut using the back of a wooden spoon until coconut is thoroughly coated. This takes a little time, and yes, there is enough syrup.
- Using 1 level measuring tablespoon of coconut, shape into a ball by squeezing coconut firmly in palm of one hand, then rolling between both palms. (HINT: Measure out all of the coconut then roll into balls.)
- Place 2 inches apart on wire racks. Let dry 10 minutes. Reroll coconut balls so there are no loose ends of coconut sticking up.
- Place milk chocolate and shortening in a 4−cup glass measure or 1 1/2 quart microwave−safe bowl. Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture can be stirred smooth and is glossy; stirring once or twice.
- Working quickly, spoon 1 level measuring tablespoon of the chocolate over each coconut ball, making sure chocolate coats and letting excess chocolate drip down onto waxed paper.
- While chocolate coating is still soft, lightly press whole almond on top of each. 9. Let stand to set or place in refrigerator. Store in a single layer in airtight container.
Keeps best if refrigerated. Makes 26.
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We'll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You'll love it.
The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook: Recipes and History from America's Premier Chocolate Maker
Domingo Ghirardelli first began making chocolate drinks for miners during the Gold Rush.
In the more than 150 years since, the chocolatiers who have carried on the company's grand tradition have made Ghirardelli the leading premium manufacturer in the country.
The recipes in this book range from simple sweets to show-stopping desserts, while a special section on hosting a chocolate party comes just in time for holiday baking and entertaining. Includes more than 80 recipes, a primer on chocolate varieties and uses, and more than 25 full-color photographs.
This perfect gift for chocolate lovers includes a new holiday recipe section with a guide to creating edible gifts like cocoa mixes and decadent fudge sauce.
Photo of Almond Joy Candy Bar is by Evan-Amos and is in the Public Domain - I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide. I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.