I'm not sure if you have a Kroger's in your neck of the woods or not. I'm pretty sure that, even if you do, you haven't tried this particular dessert. The newspaper article I got it from says this "Death by Chocolate Brownie" was created in the Highlands Store in Louisville by Chef Christopher Paul Dowell. It also says that the stores share successful recipes and I have seen it in other Louisville area stores. So maybe you've tried it.
Anyway, it doesn't matter. If you haven't had them -- you really need to.
If you have -- you know what I'm talking about!
Kroger's Death by Chocolate Brownies are a Gooey Brownie/Fudge combination that is simply heavenly.
Kroger's Death By Chocolate Brownies Recipe
- 1 pound unsalted Butter
- 14 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups Sugar
- 8 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose Flour
- pinch of Salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and lightly Flour a 9 by 13 baking dish or casserole pan
- Melt the Butter and 10 ounces of the Chocolate Chips over a double broiler. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the Sugar, then the Eggs, one at a time.
- Whisk in the Vanilla.
- Mix in the Flour and Salt.
- Fold the remaining Chocolate Chips into the Batter
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in middle of the oven for one hour.
- Take out and check that the middle is set. It's probably not yet. Return to oven, checking every 10 minutes until the center is set (a knife inserted will come out clean.)
- Cool completely before you slice.
This will go excellently with next week's drinks from Starbucks!
If you like this recipe, you should sign-up for our FREE Restaurant Recipes Emails. We'll send you a Cool Starbucks Recipe Book just for trying us out. You'll love it.
The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook: Recipes and History from America's Premier Chocolate Maker
The recipes in this book range from simple sweets to show-stopping desserts, while a special section on hosting a chocolate party comes just in time for holiday baking and entertaining. Includes more than 80 recipes, a primer on chocolate varieties and uses, and more than 25 full-color photographs.
This perfect gift for chocolate lovers includes a new holiday recipe section with a guide to creating edible gifts like cocoa mixes and decadent fudge sauce.
Photo of Chocolate Truffle Brownies is by chatirygirl - Katherine and is used by permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-ND 2.0) License.